'eF Babe' + 'Jay Baba'= eFJay
(LOVE BIRDS)

Togetherness, Tranquilty, Love, Care, Affection, Respect, Serenity, Value, Admiration, Greatness, Gratification, Satisfaction, Blessings...

Sunday 16 March 2008

Poetry


We recently had a nigerian society event in school and one of the guys did a poem he had written himself. I really liked it, i thought i'd post it. The event went really well, i performed too. I did a poem i wrote years ago and a song with a friend of mine, it was like a lost love story. I'd post mine later. I'm gonna post the dude's poem today.


No culture to call my own
I'm an outsider in my own land
Everytime they sit together my heart hides
Too afraid to express the inner beauty
I cant speak like them- the Yoruba- loud and larger than life
My forgotten tongue- My only true regret
Those parents over there
I hear them staring at me
So loud the words from their eyes
"Shame on him- another of our children has forgotten his roots"
Those 'homies' over there
Dare i walk up
I can't speak 'Pidgin' English
I might as well speak German
They''ll hear nothing i say, unless with their own words
I barely open my mouth to speak
Too late- that freakish cross-bred accent had told them everything they need to know
Is he British or American or Nigerian or is he just trying to sound better than us?
Once again to the shadows of my heart
Outcast of my own land
But never ashamed
Never ashamed

By 'Oluseyi'

L8rz people!

'ef babe'

4 comments:

Afrobabe said...

Damm that is telling it...Always used to wonder what ppl who dont speak the language or who never had contact with naija felt...now I know...I would have felt that way if I didnt speak pidgin too...

Chris Ogunlowo said...

Hey Pretty,

I love this poem. I’m expecting yours.

I also think the V-monologue should be adapted to a movie.
Anyway, I should be at the theatre this Wednesday to watch the play.
U wanna come along ;)?

My ex is gone. I think I’m done with the whole hurting Ex-perience.
I’m sure u’re doing fine.

eFJay said...

@ afrobabe
yeh it sucks 4 them. Meanwhile i'm thinking of doin a satire about the ones that are almost ashamed of their mother tongue and end up with some razz accent that aint even real!

@aloofar
glad u r over it dear! I wish i was home rite now but even if i came i wnt catch the last screening cos my break doesnt start till the 21st. I hope i get to see the v-monologues sometime.
I'd post my poem later 2day or 2mrrw!

'ef babe'

Anu boy said...

yoooooooooooooo,

nice one ohhh